The tree was designated the "Washington Oak" about the time that Roger Sherman Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was appointed its guardian. The oak tree was over 300 years of age when it split apart in 2003.
A sapling and a plaque now exist where the mighty oak once stood.
We have opened "The Old Oak Tavern" in efforts of memorializing and honoring the importance behind this historic oak tree.
In 1780, General George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette had a meeting under this tree in Gaylordsville, Connecticut. They were here in the middle of the American Revolution, concluding a lunch with Deacon Benjamin Gaylord, they had a conference with 22 officers under the mighty the oak tree. The group was on its way to Hartford, having left headquarters in New Jersey three days prior.
Copyright 2016. The Old Oak Tavern. All Rights Reserved.